Words of Yendor
Words of Yendor is a word-puzzle roguelike game set in a steamgoth world of amalgamated steam-age technology and antediluvian sorcery.
Unravel the mystery of the Word of Yendor by exploring cities and finding your way to the local Master Villain, who holds a usurped ingredient. Solve word puzzles to avoid danger and collect resources. Defeat your opponents in turn-based word duels using a unique tactical combat system.
In these procedurally generated adventures, each ending is tailor-made, for every occasion, for everyone. How, you ask? By leveraging the world’s most powerful content creation system!
- Turn-based, procedurally generated adventures
- Detailed, highly configurable hero/heroine portraits
- Various types of word puzzles and word duels, forged into a coherent game system
- Duel opponents that also compose words from the same pool of letters as you
- Words that can literally hurt or mend
- Mini-adventures in space-time and in the afterworld
- Collection and crafting of items and upgrades, as well as optional theft and trade of poignant curios
- Dynamic, often dramatic or humorous story, yet it’s always meaningful and personal
As you travel through the settlements, one location at a time, you’ll be presented 1–3 encounters each time, but you may only choose one. You are advised to scout ahead by identifying words on a letter grid, trying to match your word’s score with the target’s.
Depending on the encounter type, maybe you find useful information or equipment, or meet dangerous, interesting or friendly people, or perhaps you can try your luck on short, strange excursions. Occasionally you’ll have to fight a duel of words, which can be a sporting contest or a fight to the death, where every word matters.
At the end of each settlement you’ll discover the local Master Villain’s hideout, and challenge them to a duel of words. If you manage to emerge victorious, yet another type of word puzzle will have to be completed to reclaim a Lesser Word of Yendor, which are very important to you for some reason that you might not understand in the beginning. It can be surmised though, that your quest is overseen by some illusive authority that rewards you handsomely to aid your journey.
Can you reveal all the words? Can you discover the secret meaning behind the Word of Yendor?
Some hard, technical facts for gamers
- A typical adventure can be completed in 30–200 minutes, depending on the complexity level of your choice.
- You can save your progress at any time, and you can think on the challenges for as long as you’d like, as the passing of real time does not affect the game.
- Note that being a roguelike, this is also a “permadeath” game, and if your hero falls, the game is over. However, by entering the same adventure seed number, you can replay any adventure as many times as you wish.
- It’s never just one of the “red, green, blue” endings. Each one is personal and unique!
SandorHQ allows for the contents of Words of Yendor to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Words of Yendor is legally & explicitly allowed by SandorHQ. This permission can be found in writing at https://sandorhq.com/games/words-of-yendor.
Credits and Acknowledgements
Game design, programming, additional graphics by Sándor Szigeti.
Character portraits and encounter artwork by VikusVikus.
Music by Eric Matyas, Kevin MacLeod, Alexander Nakarada.
Built with the Godot Engine.